Webinar Testing and Troubleshooting
The Hurricane Webinars take place on a service called WebEx, an online meeting center. From your local computer, you will be able to view and hear a speaker’s presentation (no need to call in via phone, etc.). The WebEx platform also allows for questions to be asked by chat text for this forum. A very brief “tutorial”, walking participants through the functionality of the WebEx meeting portal, will occur at the start of each webinar. The webinar will be recorded for viewing at a later date.
How to test before a Hurricane Webinar
1) We recommend that you do not use Firefox to launch WebEx.
- In our experience Firefox just does not work well with WebEx, even though WebEx lists Firefox as supported. We have found about 75% of the technical problems we have encountered with webinar participants can be solved by using a browser other than Firefox. (Note: Firefox 64-bit is not supported by WebEx)
- Chrome (recent version - 54+), Internet Explorer (9+), and Safari (9+) all work well.
- Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 are all supported
- Mac OS X 10.9-10.13 are all supported
- Some Linux versions are supported. Look at help.webex.com for details.
- Windows XP and Windows Vista will not work - support has been discontinued.
- Mobile devices can download native apps that work in recent versions of the major mobile operating systems - iOS, Android, and Windows. These apps are free.
2) Please conduct a browser and basic network test at the WebEx test meeting site:
It is very important to do his ahead of time to verify that it works on your computer.
•Meeting Center will launch and load.
- Enter in your name and email address
- If you have never used WebEx before, you will need to download a plug-in. Depending on the security settings on your browser or system, you may need administrator privileges to grant permission for this download.
•You should then get a screen with an image that says you have a “Congratulations, your test was successful” at the top, if not, then there is a problem.
- You will need to dismiss a dialogue box that says the host has not joined the meeting.
•NOTE: the browser test has no other component - no audio and no interaction. Once you get the “successful” message you can quit the test.
•If you do not get the “successful” message, first, try another browser and then try restating your computer. If you continue to have problems, contact Holly Morin for help.
- This test does not check your audio or video capabilities though WebEx. If you have had problems or have an unusual set-up, see the additional testing below.
If you are having Audio problems in a WebEx meeting session - during a webinar
- In the WebEx app - under the Audio menu item, choose Integrated Voice Conference
- Confirm you have joined the conference. If not, join.
- Next, in the same Audio menu, choose Speaker/Microphone Audio Test. Run the test and confirm that the correct speakers and microphone are assigned to be used by WebEx.
- You should also verify the speaker an microphone settings in the Operating System settings as they can be out of sync with the settings in WebEx and cause issues.
- NOTE: you do not need a microphone to participate in the DOSITS Webinars - in fact, we ask that you always keep your microphone muted.
- If you are still having audio issues, try leaving the meeting and re-joining.
- If re-joining does not work, try re-joining with a different browser.
- Finally, re-start your computer and re-join the meeting.
- Sometimes audio settings or other programs on the local computer can cause problems and sometimes local network issues can prevent audio from working. Please work with your local technical support personnel to solve the audio issues if the above suggestions do not resolve the issue..
If you continue to have problems connecting with WebEx, please contact Holly Morin
Additional information about WebEx
If you have trouble connecting to the WebEx service (no response at all), you may have a firewall on your network that will prevent connections to WebEx.
You need to open connectivity over ports 80 and 443 for the following domains:
- WebEx generally uses port 80 and 443 (standard web ports) during DOSITS Webinars.
- If you do have network issues, check that the following domains and IP addresses are not blocked:
WebEx services are offered over the following IP ranges:
- all the sub-domains of webex.com and webexconnect.com.
WebEx may acquire new IP addresses or reassign IP addresses so this list may not be exhaustive or up to date.
- 22.214.171.124 – 126.96.36.199
- 188.8.131.52 - 184.108.40.206
- 220.127.116.11 - 18.104.22.168