Terrestrial Impacts - References, Additional Links, and Resources
- "USGS- Coastal Change Hazards: Hurricanes and Extreme Storms." (Link)
- 2006, "Ecological effects of Gulf Coast hurricanes: Short term impacts and long-term consequences.." A Report of the 2006 ESA Annual Meeting. Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America. 374-379.
- Askins, R.A. and D.N. Ewert, 1991, "Impact of Hurricane Hugo on bird populations on St. John, US Virgin Islands.." Biotropica. 23(4a): 481-487.
- Barrow, W. Jr., J. Buler, B. Couillion, R. Diehl, S. Faulkner, F. Moore, and L. Randall, USGS Circular #1306. 2007., "Broad-scale response of landbird migration to the immediate effects of Hurricane Katrina.." In: Science and the Storms: The USGS Response to the Hurricanes of 2005.(Link)
- Cahoon, D.R., P. Hensel, J. Rybczyk, K. L. McKee, C.E. Proffitt, and B.C. Perez, 2003, "Mass tree mortality leads to mangrove peat collapse at Bay Island Honduras after Hurricane Mitch." Journal of Ecology. 91: 1093-1105.
- Edmiston, H.L., S.A Fahrny, M.S. Lamb, L.K. Levi, J.M Wanat, J.S. Avant, K. Wren, and N.C. Selly., 2008, "Tropical storm and hurricane impacts on a Gulf Coast estuary: Apalachicola Bay, Florida.." Journal of Coastal Research. 55: 38-49.
- G. Stone and C. Finkl, editors., Special Issue No 21, Spring 1995., "Impacts of Hurricane Andrew on the Coastal Zones of Florida and Louisiana- 22-26 August 1992." Journal of Coastal Research.
- Gannon, M.R, and M. R. Willig, 1994, "The effects of Hurricane Hugo on the bats of the Luquillo Experimental Forest of Puerto Rico." Biotropica. 26(3): 320-331.
- Guntenspergen, G.R., and B. A. Vairin., 1996, "Willful Winds, Hurricane Andrew and Louisiana’s Coast.." The Louisiana Sea Grant College Program and the U.S. Dept. of the Interior.
- Lugo, A.E., 2008, "Visible and invisible effects of hurricanes on forest ecosystems: an international review." Austral Ecology. 33: 368-398.
- M.V.K. Sivakumar, "Impacts of Natural Disasters in Agriculture: An Overview." World Meteorological Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.(Link)
- Mallin, M.A. and C.A. Corbett, 2006, "How hurricane attributes determine the extent of environmental effects: Multiple hurricanes and different coastal systems.." Estuaries and Coasts. 29 (6A): 1046-1061.
- Messina, W.A. Jr, 2010, "An Assessment of Hurricane Charley’s impact on Cuba.." Florida Cooperative Extension Service, University of Florida.
- Michener, W.K., E.R. Blood, K.L. Bildstein, M. M. Brinson, and L.R. Gardner., 1997, "Climate change, hurricanes and tropical storms, and rising sea level in coastal wetlands.." Ecological Applications. 7(3): 770-801.
- NCDC, "Mitch: The Deadliest Atlantic Hurricane Since 1780." (Link)
- Philpott, S.M., B.B. Lin, S. Jha, and S.J. Brines., 2008, "A multi-scale assessment of hurricane impacts on agricultural landscapes based on land use and topographic features.." Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 128: 12-20.
- Smith, T.J. III, G.H. Anderson, and G. Tiling, USGS Circular 1306. 2007., "A tale of two storms: surges and sediment deposition from Hurricanes Andrew and Wlima in Florida’s southwest coast mangrove forests.." In: Science and the Storms: The USGS Response to the Hurricanes of 2005.(Link)
- Tanner, E.V.J. V. Kapos, and J.R. Healey, 1991, "Hurricane effects on forest ecosystems in the Caribbean.." Biotropica. 23(4): 513-521.
- Ward, G.A. and T.J. Smith III., 2007, "Predictive mangrove forest recovery on the southwest coast of Florida following the impact of Hurricane Wlima, October 2005." In: Science and the Storms: The USGS Response to the Hurricanes of 2005. USGS Circular 1306.(Link)
Additional Links on HSS
- "Operation Backyard Recovery." (Link)